What is a Birth Doula?
Doulas empower expected parents to have better control in the way they want to experience their pregnancy. Their knowledge of the labour and birthing process makes them a great companion during the pregnancy by being a fountain of information and knowledge, and by supporting and addressing concerns and fears.
Women were less likely to have pain-relief medications administered and less likely to have a cesarean birth.
Report by: Cochrane Review, Continuous Support for Women During Childbirth
We Offer the following services:
- We do not make choices for you
- Inform you of your options and choices
- Empower mother to make her choices
- Reduce fears and concerns
- Make mom as relaxed and feel safe as possible
- Create birth plans (“preferences” really because babies are unpredictable)
- Help parents to navigate the information that relates to them and their baby
- Support and respect the parent’s feelings and desires
- Help her to learn about her baby and herself
- Support of spouses and partners
- Encourage, massage, apply pain reducing techniques
- Teach breathing techniques, labour positions
- Brings positive energy; help and support the team involved in the delivery
- Keep parents focused on what the purpose of any process is during the pregnancy
Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health
“… continuous support in labor from a trained doula, as doula care can decrease the likelihood of cesarean birth, epidural analgesia, and assisted vaginal birth. In addition, there is some emerging evidence suggesting that involving doulas in prenatal care can reduce rates of preterm birth.”
We would love to assist you.
Tell us how we can help you have the best pregnancy and delivery experience.