A baby care nurse is a licensed (RN or LPN), with a degree and a license to practice nursing. They typically come to your home to work with families of newborn(s) with medical conditions that could be life-threatening for the baby. Many of the nurses are experienced in neonatal care, pediatric care, and are all certified in caring for parents and babies. They are also certified to administer medication, work with physicians, help with treatments, perform examinations, and monitor the baby to ensure that they are developing properly.
Baby nurses are caregivers, teachers, advocates, counselors, and supporters. They identify problem areas for both the mother and the baby and address the issues to prevent or reduce PPD (postpartum depression), and the baby blues.
Day to day tasks of a registered baby nurse
- Breastfeeding support
- Changing, bathing, and feeding the baby
- Prepare bottles for feeding
- Pump preparation and cleaning
- Soothing and helping to alleviate baby’s discomfort
- Post circumcision care
- Monitoring baby’s growth and development
- Establishing proper sleeping and eating routines
- Complete care of baby during the night
- Maintaining a log of the baby’s night-time activities
- Organize the nursery
- Educate and support parents
- Recognize and assist with Reflux and Colic
- Communicate with parents to provide consistency for baby and mother
- Troubleshoot potential issues of concern and offer professional options to resolve them
- Facilitate the transition from pregnancy to having the baby home
Registered Baby Nurses for healthy babies
A Registered Baby Nurse cares for healthy babies also. They are available to help you day or night. The benefit of hiring a licensed professional nurse or registered nurse is that their services may be covered under your private health insurance depending on the plan.
Zealous Baby Care offers licensed baby care professionals (LPN and RN) in Toronto and the GTA. For a registered baby care nurse in Toronto, call us today at 1-(888) 515-8390.